Intern Spotlight: Audrey Ogendi

August 29, 2016

Audrey Ogendi

Hello, or jumbo as they would say in Kenya! My name is Audrey Ogendi, and I am a double Hoo.  I am currently a second year graduate student in the Masters in Public Health program. I was first involved with the women’s center through the Young Women Leaders Program. During my third year as an undergraduate, I had the opportunity to participate and immerse myself into YWLP as a Big Sister. The following year, since I was so motivated and positively moved by the program, I became a facilitator.  During that year, I had the pleasure of engaging and cultivating conversations between the Bigs and Littles. I was deeply inspired by the autonomy, compassion, and leadership skills that these ladies learned over the year.  After my final year of undergraduate I vowed that I would return again to the program.

One day on my way home from my first year of graduate classes, I ran into the YWLP Program Associate director, Jaronda Miller-Bryant. She mentioned how she was also the program director for the global outreach, and she was looking for applicants for the YWLP Global Internship to Cameroon. Instantly, I was enthused…and now I have had the humbling opportunity to travel to Kumbo, Cameroon and visit the YWLP sister sites there. It was such a thrilling and thought provoking experience to have a cultural exchange with the Bigs, Littles, facilitators, and even the YWLP alumnae.  I got the chance to observe the sister sites during their group meeting. And now, I look forward to using the information learned in Cameroon to bridge and facilitate strong lines of communication and sincere relationships between sister sites. I can’t wait!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: